If you are just thinking of starting to use WordPress, or recently started and want to wrap your brain around the basics, this workshop is perfect for you. It will help you get started while giving you a head start on the second day of WordCamp Seattle to by helping you better understand all the great talks you attend.
Note: This workshop will focus more on running a self-hosted WordPress site vs. having one on WordPress.com. However, there are several overlaps and parts of this workshop will address those.
In this 3-hour workshop you will learn:
- The difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- What the WordPress dashboard looks like, including an overview of posts, pages, menus and categories
- What it means to have a blog on your site
- What a theme is and a quick overview of some of your options
- What plugins and widgets are and some tips on how to choose them
- Why WordPress plugins and themes update so often
- Where to find resources that will help you as you build and grow your site