Protecting your body from common postural ailments
With my Common Desk Job Postural Ailments and What You Can Do About It! talk, you get two great experiences for the price of one! The first half of my talk will be an overview of two common postural ailments that plague desk-jobbers. When we’re done with that, we’re going to shove all of the chairs against a wall and get our sweat on with 20 minutes of Zumba!
You are highly encouraged to bring a towel.
Part 1: Two common postural ailments and what you can do to decrease pain and discomfort
We’re going to talk about Thoracic Hyperkyphosis and Anterior Pelvic Tilt, two postural ailments common with people who sit a lot and/or work at a desk. If you’re suffering from “tight shoulders” or ever feel a deep, twingy pain around your hips, back or low belly when you stand up, this talk is for you. Learn about stretching and strengthening exercises that can take years off your shoulders and low back.
Part 2: Get your Zumba on!
That’s right! We’re going to have a brief interlude from all that conference sitting, and get up, and shake it! Zumba has been known to burn 500 to 1000 calories an hour, increase body confidence, and produce spontaneous smiling.
Don’t be scared of not knowing the moves, not being able to dance, or worrying about what others think of you.
- Only I will know the moves in advance. It’s my job to teach them to you!
- EVERYONE can Zumba. I promise.
- No one is looking at you. Again, I promise. Everyone is looking at me, and trying not to run into you.
- Don’t worry if you run into someone. Smile apologetically and get back to shaking your booty.
What to bring:
- Comfy clothing: shoes, sports-wear, and a change of clothes if you like. We’ll be doing Zumba right before lunch so you’ll have time to change.
- A towel. If you want to join me in working up a sweat, I can guarantee you will!
- A water bottle. Stay hydrated, friends!
- A willing spirit. Don’t forget this one, it’s important!
Zumba photo courtesy anujraj.